The scenic lakes and mountains of the town of Interlaken draw tourists and adventurers from all over the world. Popular mountain day-trip destinations include the Jungfraujoch, the highest railway station in Europe. One of its attractions, the Ice Palace, provides a magical winter atmosphere year-round. Interlaken boasts plenty of picturesque natural scenes to view, among them the verdant landscape of Winteregg, which was immortalized in poetry by Goethe.
Those looking for outdoor adventure will not be disappointed at Interlaken. Rock climbing, white-water rafting, waterskiing, skydiving, and paragliding are only some of the stimulating activities available in the town. At night, visitors flock to the area's pubs and restaurants. A casino and movie theater present further recreational options.
In addition, Interlaken features:
- The Ballenberg Museum, an open-air museum devoted to Swiss rural life through the centuries
- An annual classical music festival
- Mystery Park, devoted to seeking out the answers behind all of life's big questions
- The Schynige Platte, an Alpine botanical garden
- The William Tell Open-Air Theatre, where Schiller's retelling of the life of Switzerland's folkloric hero has been staged since 1912
Cold Plunge Pool