Makes about 20 cups
|lView the Issue|
Andy's Vegetable Stock
By Andrew Weil, M.D., and Rosie Daley
January / February 2003
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts, washed well and chopped
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 6 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small bunch parsley
- 2 tsp dried marjoram leaves
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 gallons cold purified water
Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add the vegetables and parsley and stir-fry until lightly browned. Add the herbs and water. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 1 hour.
Strain the stock through a fine sieve or a cheesecloth-lined colander. Press or squeeze the vegetables to extract their liquid. Discard the vegetables. Use the stock right away or freeze for later use.
From "The Healthy Kitchen" (Knopf, 2002) by Andrew Weil, M.D., and Rosie Daley.