|lView the Issue|
Pan-Seared Daurade with Escarole, Black Olives, and Fennel Broth
By Royal Palms Resort and Spa
September / October 2003
- 8 bulbs fennel
- 3 Tbsp plus 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 8 3-oz. fillets of fresh daurade (or flounder, turbot, or sole), skin on
- 1 head escarole, washed and dried
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup black olives, pitted and halved
- 1/4 cup fish stock
- 5 potatoes, diced and blanched (about 2 cups)
- 2 Tbsp butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup microgreens
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Remove the tops of the fennel bulbs and reserve. Remove the cores from 6 of the bulbs. Coarsely chop the 6 bulbs and pass the pieces through a juicer. Bring the fennel juice to a boil, season it with salt and pepper, reduce by half (this should take about 15 minutes), and set aside. You should have about 1 cup of juice.
2. Cut the remaining 2 fennel bulbs in half, remove their cores, and cut them into julienne strips. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a saute pan and add the fennel. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes until the fennel is slightly caramelized. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
3. Gently score the skin of the fish so it won't curl when you cook it. Place some of the fennel fronds in the incisions and season both sides of the fish with salt and pepper.
4. Add 1 tablespoon of oil and 1 tablespoon of butter to a hot saute pan. Place the fish skin side down and cook until the skin gets crispy, about 2 minutes. Turn the fish gently and saute for 1 minute longer. In another saute pan, saute the garlic in 1 tablespoon of oil for about 10 seconds. Add the escarole, fennel, and olives to the same pan. Saut? 1 minute longer, then add the fish stock. Reduce until the liquid has completely evaporated. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Just before serving, reheat the fennel juice and whisk in the cubed butter until it is melted and incorporated. Toss the microgreens with salt, pepper, and 1 teaspoon olive oil.
6. To serve, place a small mound of potatoes in the center of each plate. Spread the mixture of escarole, fennel, and olives around the potatoes. Place 2 pieces of fish in a cross shape on top of the potatoes. Spoon the fennel broth around the plate and sprinkle fennel fronds into the broth. Garnish with the microgreens.