Business reviews by user
1 Reviews by spalovernj
Lots to offer, still a little room to grow..... January 10, 2008 | 68 of 126 people found this review helpful
I recently spent 4 nights/5 days at Woodloch. The facility is beautiful and very well maintained. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. Having a daily spa allowance is great and allowed me to try some things that I might not have otherwise. As others have noted the owners, John and Ginny make a point of knowing the guests. They are always around and interested in hearing about your experience (even when some of the feedback was less than positive).
Pros: clean, never feels crowded or rushed, very welcoming atmosphere, the locker/changing rooms are fabulous - the lodge rooms as superb also. The locker/changing rooms with private shower changing areas and inviting relaxation areas A++++.
John and Ginny addressed a concern I had with one spa treatment and generously provided a gift certificate for future treatments at the facility to make up for one less than great experience.
I have been to many of the top spas in the US and this is certainly among my very favorites - but having said that, there are some areas where if addressed will make this facility the "best of the best". These items are what kept them from having straight 5's across the board:
1. Experience and professionalism of spa staff is mixed. I had a surperb facialist but only mediocre Reiki - I don't think the therapist was truly skilled in Reiki and my opinion is that either you have the gift for this or you don't......don't offer the service if you don't have skilled staff to provide it. I had another therapist for two concurrent services who was the most unprofessional I had ever experienced. However, my husband had another therapist for the same treatment and his was superb.
2. Aqua Garden had dead flies floating in the waterfall hot tubs. Not very pleasant and surprising given the overall cleanliness of the facility. It did turn me off from using that part of the facility.
3. Restaurant food was for the most part very good and actually had my husband enjoying "spa food". However, again....experienced some kind of insect problem. One day there were swarms of fruit flies around the deserts at the buffet. Staff sometimes overly solicitous. Mark was the exception to that and among the best waiters I've ever had - they should make sure they keep him and let everyone learn from his example.
4. WATER...please? Bottled water was nearly impossible to get. None in the spa area and 1 bottle per guest was provided in the room at check in. This was not even available for purchase (we asked). For this price point and at a spa I am accustomed to having bottled water readily available. (It was only available warm in the gym area and you would only know that if you happened to go up there to work out).
5. Pillows - soft or softer. Again at this price point there should be a selection of soft or firm pillows in addition to the feather or foam selections. Most side sleepers prefer a firmer pillow and there were none to be had (believe me, I tried).
Having said all of this I would encourage anyone considering Woodloch to check it out. It has great potential and as a newer facility I expect they will continue to work out the kinks.I would visit this business again? Yes