Fuel Up Before & After Your Workout: 2 Energizing Elixir Recipes
As a running newbie, it took a bit of finessing to figure out how to have the best possible jogging experience. There are many aspects of preparation that are important, but fueling up is vital. Everyone is different, so experiment to see what works best for you.
This is what I noticed:
- If I just got up, stretched and went for it… my energy drained quickly (no gas in the tank).
- If I ate anything of substance within 30 minutes of heading out the door… my stomach would burn and I would feel a bit nauseated (too much energy going towards digestion).
- If I had a lot of water, coffee, and then a juice, sometimes I would have to go pee midway through my run (quantity is important).
- Because I live in South Florida where it is almost always hot and humid, if I didn’t get out the door before 9 a.m., my energy would deplete too quickly (too HOT and too much time without sustenance).
My best recipe for success
- Drink a full glass of water upon awakening.
- Don’t wait too long before working out.
- Have a pre-run energy elixir 30-45 minutes before heading out.
- Drink a full glass of water upon return.
- Eat a small meal or have a smoothie within 30 minutes after your workout.
These two recipes are great to get you going. Have one before and one after working out. What better way is there for you to get this many fruits and vegetables in before 9 a.m.? Your body will be very happy!
Elixir 1: Cherry Limeade Bomb
You will need a juicer to make this delicious sweet and tart elixir. Make and drink 30 minutes prior to your run or within 30 minutes upon your return.
What You’ll Need:
3 stalks of celery, washed
1 small cucumber, peeled if not organic
1 small zucchini, peeled if not organic
1 lime, peeled
½ cup water
1 scoop E2 Pre-Workout Powder by Genesis Pure, Cherry
Juice all the fruits and vegetables; add the water and the energy powder; mix well and drink immediately.
Elixir 2: Banana Berry Bomb Energizer
You need a high quality blender to make this Energizer. Make and drink half of this recipe 45 minutes prior to your run or within 30 minutes upon your return. Refrigerate any leftover Energizer in an airtight container and drink within 8 hours.
What You’ll Need:
Place in blender in the following order:
1-1½ cups water (You can also use ½ water and ½ non-dairy milk for a creamier version)
1 frozen banana
1 scoop vegan protein powder (I enjoy Isagenix Berry Vegan Protein Powder
2 teaspoons whole flax seed
1 small zucchini or cucumber, peeled if not organic
1 large handful mild lettuce or spinach, fresh
Blend until smooth. Add liquid until you reach the desired consistency and enjoy. Happy Running!!
For more videos follow Debra on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoZJZZF1H4vuRIT-haVkISw” target=”_blank”>YouTube
Follow the Journey on Facebook