If you’re a fruit and veggies fan, you’re going to love this healthy salad recipe, and if you’re not…you’re probably going to love this healthy salad recipe.
Brought to you by Golden Door, it’s a vibrant blend of greens dressed with flavorful roasted shallot and balsamic vinaigrette and surrounded by juicy tangerines, sweet-tart pomegranate seeds and crisp persimmon wedges. (For all you non-fruit-and-veggie fans, the two most common varieties of Asian persimmons are fuyu and hachiya; fuyu persimmons tend to be squatter and much less astringent than the oblong hachiya, as well as being sweeter and less intensely flavored, according to Golden Door. When grocery shopping, choose fuyu with deep orange skin.)
Simple, colorful and full of flavor, this recipe takes salad to a new appetizing level that everyone can enjoy.
Fruit Salad and Balsamic Vinaigrette Recipe (Serves 4)
2 large shallots (about 4 oz. total), peeled, trimmed and quartered
½ cup balsamic vinegar
4 sprigs fresh thyme
1 small pomegranate
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
Pinch of kosher salt, or to taste
Pinch of freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
6 cups loosely packed field greens or mesclun
1 firm fuyu persimmon, sliced into thin wedges
2 tangerines, peeled and sliced crosswise 1/4-inch thick
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- In a nonreactive, ovenproof skillet just big enough to hold the shallots, combine the shallots, vinegar and thyme sprigs. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and roast until the shallots are softened and the vinegar is reduced by half, about 40 minutes. If the vinegar is not sufficiently reduced and the shallots are still a bit firm, remove the foil and continue to roast, uncovered, for 5 to 10 minutes.
- While the shallots are roasting, prepare a large bowl of cold water. Cut the pomegranate in half lengthwise. Holding one half under the water, use your fingers to gently remove the seeds from the fruit. Most of them will float to the top. Repeat with the other half. Drain the seeds well, removing any pith left over. Set aside 1/3 cup. (Store any remaining seeds in the refrigerator for another use.)
- When the shallots are ready, remove the pan from the oven and carefully remove the foil. Let cool for 15 minutes. Remove and discard the thyme. Transfer the shallots and vinegar to a blender. Add 1/2 cup water and blend until the mixture is smooth but slightly chunky, 8 to 10 seconds. Add the olive oil and blend for 5 more seconds. Add the salt and pepper.
- Toss the greens with 1/4 cup of the dressing and salt and pepper, if desired. Pile the greens high in center of each of four plates. Scatter the persimmon wedges, tangerine slices and pomegranate seeds over each salad. Drizzle with additional dressing and serve.
This recipe was first published in Golden Door Cooks at Home: Favorite Recipes from the Celebrated Spa by Dean Rucker and Mara Stets.
You might also like:
Foods for Stress: 7 Ayurvedic Foods to Find Your Inner Calm
5 Foods to Boost Metabolism
Sunshine Foods: 12 Foods with Vitamin D, Plus Why You Need It
The Lodge at Woodloch’s Autumn Kale Salad Recipe
Ste. Anne’s Caramelized Three-Onion Soup with Garlic & Herb Toasted Crostini
Golden Door Recipe: Creamy Cauliflower Soup with Caramelized Cauliflower
Most recent from Nutrition