Let’s Get Grilling! Healthy Summer Grilling Recipes
Nothing beats summertime grilling out. From being able to hang outside with friends while cooking, and subsequently dining, al fresco to noshing on some seasonal comfort foods – grilling out is simply a must each and every summer. However, we all know that a hamburger and side (or three) of pasta salad can weigh heavy on your caloric conscience so we wanted to share a few grilling recipes that pack in the flavor but won’t pack on the pounds!Now, let’s get grilling!
Jerked Pork Tenderloin from Pritkin Longevity Center and Spa
Serving Size: 4oz
2 lbs. Pork Tenderloin (cleaned)
2 cans Beer
1 lb. onion
½ lb. scallion
¼ lb. scotch bonnet pepper
½ bushel fresh thyme, chopped
½ teaspoon ground allspice
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger root
3 tablespoons chopped garlic
¼ cup cane vinegar
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons light soya sauce
¼ cup water
1. Combine all ingredients in blender except Pork Tenderloin and blend for 2 minutes. Pour over Tenderloins and let sit overnight.
2. Grill Pork over slow heat sprinkling with beer of your choice every 5 minutes until meat is cooked.
Calories 180 | Protein 25g | Carbs 7g | Fat 2.5g | Sodium 200mg | 8% Iron | 2% Calcium | 6% Vitamin C
Summer Turkey Burgers with Fig Salsa from The Oaks at Ojai
Fresh Fig Salsa
2½ cups fresh figs, diced
½ cup yellow bell pepper, diced
¼ cup finely minced red onion
½ cup dried cranberries (raisins can be substituted)
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced, or 2 tsp. dried red chili flakes
2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon minced or grated fresh ginger
1. Combine salsa ingredients and chill for approximately two hours to meld flavors.
1 ½ lbs. ground turkey
1/3 cup chopped fresh figs
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
¼ cup finely minced red onion
½ tsp black pepper
2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil (2 tsp. dried)
1. Combine all of the ingredients, but do not over-mix.
2. Divide into 6 portions and shape into burgers. Or, these can be made into meatballs for an appetizer. Chill for one hour before cooking.
3. Using a non-stick spray for your grill or sauté pan, spray generously and cook burgers over medium heat for 3-5 minutes per side, depending on thickness. (Meat should register 165 degrees in the center.)
4. Serve warm with fresh fig salsa. If “meatballs” are made, they could be used with an arugula salad, adding Gorgonzola, feta or goat cheese if desired, and the salsa could be the “dressing.”
This would also be delicious in half of a whole wheat pita with the salsa as a condiment.
Grilled Portobello and Provolone Burger from Lake Austin Spa Resort
1 medium onion, sliced
4 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed(salt and and freshly ground pepper to taste)
4 1oz. slices reduced-fat provolone cheese
4 onion Kaiser rolls, split
½ cup hickory-flavored barbeque sauce, warmed
8 tomato slices
1 cup shredded lettuce
1. Saute onion until golden brown, remove from heat and set aside.
2. Spray the mushroom caps lightly with nonstick cooking spray. Season with salt and pepper and grill over hot coals for 5-7 minutes, turning occasionally. Before removing from heat, turn caps to that the gills are facing up.
3. Top each with a slice of cheese to melt slightly and remove from grill.
4. Toast rolls and dab each with 2 tablespoons of barbeque sauce. Top each roll with a mushroom cap, caramelized onions, 2 tomato slices, and 1/4 cup of lettuce
Calories 338 | Protein 25g | Carbs 55g | Fat 7g | 16% calories from fat | Sodium 850mg
You might also like:
Let’s Throw a Produce Party! Summer Salad Spa Recipes
Six Foods for a Summer Glow (Plus Three Healthy Recipes!)
Dinner-Worthy Salads Spotlight: 4 Delicious, Healthy, and Filling Salads!
Curves Complete Recipe: 30-Minute Farro Salad with Chicken and Green Beans
5 Surprisingly Tasty Healthy Snacks for Picky Eaters