Image: Miraval Resort & Spa
When Miraval Resort & Spa’s Lentil Portobello Roll-Ups were recently highlighted on HBO’s TV show Girls, we knew we had to get the healthy recipe.
So here’s the dish on this nutritious-yet-yummy dish: These burrito-like roll-ups are bursting with filling ingredients such as potatoes, portobello mushrooms, lentils, and spinach. Put a twist on the meal with added elements of feta cheese and a tomatillo, lime, and roasted corn salsa. Yum!
Lentil Portobello Roll-Ups with Feta and Tomatillo, Lime and Roasted Corn Salsa from Miraval Resort & Spa
½ onion, thinly sliced
½ c. diced potatoes
1 c. sliced portobello mushrooms
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ c. pink lentils
4 c. vegetable stock
2 c. fresh trimmed and washed spinach
2 tbsp. chopped fresh oregano
¼ tsp. dried chili flakes
6 twelve-inch flour tortillas, warmed
2 c. tomatillo, lime and roasted corn salsa (recipe follows)
- Start by lightly spraying a deep-sided sauté pan with nonstick cooking spray. For about five minutes, sauté onions over a medium high heat, stirring frequently, until the onions are soft and fragrant. Add in the potatoes, mushrooms, and garlic, and cook for another 10 minutes, while stirring frequently. (Make sure the garlic doesn’t burn.)
- Add in the lentils and stock and cook until the lentils and potatoes are fully cooked, approximately 25 minutes. Remove the pan from stove and fold in oregano, spinach and chili flakes. Make sure the lentil-vegetable mix is not dry or too wet, or it will make tortillas soggy. Drain off any excess, if necessary. Add in feta and fold to mix well.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Heat a dry sauté pan on the stove, over low heat and warm each tortilla. To keep the tortillas from drying out, cover with a cloth napkin or dish towel or just place them in a plastic bag.
- Spray a medium size baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Place about 2 tablespoons of the lentil mix in the lower part of each tortilla, fold in sides, and then roll them up. Carefully place the tortilla rollups seam-side down in the baking dish. For about 20 minutes, bake them on the center rack in the heated oven until tortillas are crispy and golden brown. Serve with tomatillo salsa.
Tomatillo, Lime and Roasted Corn Salsa
¼ habanero chili, stemmed, seeded and minced
½ scallion, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
6 tomatillos, husked, rinsed and chopped
1 tbsp. chopped fresh oregano
1 clove minced garlic
2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
Kosher salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
½ c. nopales, cooked and diced (optional)
½ c. fresh corn kernels, toasted in a dry skillet until golden brown
Juice of 1 lime
- In a food processor, add the habanero, scallion, onion, tomatillos, oregano, garlic, and cilantro and pulse until you have a nice chunky consistency.
- Transfer into a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add the nopales (if using), the corn, and lime juice; stir to blend, and taste for seasoning. Set aside until ready for use.
Most recent from Nutrition