Kamalaya’s Chilled Ginger & Melon Soup Recipe with Mint Granita
- Published: Monday, July 16th 2012
- in Nutrition
This unique melon soup recipe from wellness sanctuary Kamalaya Koh Samui in Koh Samui, Thailand, features a variety of flavor profiles, including sweetness from the fruit and the stevia, a dash of spice from the chili powder and ginger, and a refreshing touch of invigorating mint. We love the addition of the ginger and mint granite.
Impress guests with the complex flavors of this melon soup, or enjoy a bowl on your own and cool down in the heat of summer.
Chilled Ginger & Melon Soup with Mint Granita (Serves 1):
1 cup cubed seedless watermelon
2/3 cup cubed cantaloupe melon
1 tsp ginger juice
Pinch of chili powder
1 ice cube
1 tbsp mint granite (recipe below)
4 strips of ginger shavings
For the Mint Granita (makes 1 ¼ cups):
1 cup vegetable stock
4 bunches of mint leaves (approx. 200 mint leaves)
1 tbsp lime juice
½ cup of stevia
- Blend melon with the ice cube, ginger juice and chili powder on a high for about 30 seconds.
- If the soups consistency is too thick, add little bit of vegetable stock, keep chilled.
- Finely julienne the ginger shavings and set aside for garnish.
- For the granite: Bring the vegetable stock to boil, turn off the heat, add the lime and mint and let the liquid sit for about 10 minutes then strain.
- Next, put the stevia into a fine strainer and strain through with the vegetable stock mixture. Do this several times so the liquid gets a sweet note (check the flavor after each straining process); freeze.
- Serve the soup in a small chilled bowl and garnish with 1 tablespoon of the granite, a nice mint leaf and the julienned ginger.
If you like this recipe, give these a try, too!
Rancho La Puerta’s Watermelon Gazpacho Recipe
The Oaks at Ojai’s Chilled Avocado Soup Recipe
Mii amo’s Tomato Gazpacho Recipe
Stuff It & Grill It: Sanoviv’s Stuffed Zucchini Recipe
Golden Door Recipe: Watercress, Strawberry and Goat Cheese Salad
Chilled Asparagus Salad from Sundara
Alaskan Halibut with Shoestring Vegetables
The Ranch at Live Oak Malibu Recipe: Beet Spring Salad
Watermelon & Tomato Salad with Feta & Fresh Basil