Since August is National Sandwich Month and we’re just a few days away from back-to-school (if the kids aren’t already there!) we’ve decided to share one of our favorite spa-inspired sandwich recipes. This delish Chicken Panini with Sun-Dried Tomato-Basil Mayo is bound to make lunchtime your new favorite time of day!
Chicken Panini with Sun-Dried Tomato-Basil Mayo from Hilton Head Health
Makes 4 sandwiches
(2) 4oz. each chicken breast, seared, baked, sliced into 2 oz. servings
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 large onion, sliced and caramelized
2 each globe tomatoes, sliced thin
4 provolone slices, ½ ounce each
¼ cup sundried tomato-basil mayonnaise (recipe below)
1 (16 inch) whole wheat baguette (4 inch roll per person)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and preheat panini press or large griddle
2. Heat large saute pan to medium high heat. Once heated, add the teaspoon of olive oil and swirl the pan so the oil covers the pan.
3. Add the chicken breast (may season with salt and pepper prior to searing) to the pan and cook each side of the chicken breast 3-4 minutes or until golden brown on each side. Once cooked on both sides, place chicken breast onto baking sheet and finish baking in the oven until internal temperature is 160 degrees (let rest 5 minutes before panini assembly).
4. In the same saute pan, add sliced onions and cook on medium low heat until they are slightly caramelized or cooked down to your preference.
5. Cut baguette into 4 equal pieces about 4 inches long each, then on the side to open up. Don’t cut all the way down so your sandwich can stay intact.
6. Place opened baguette on griddle or hot panini press, and toast the inside for about 1 minute then remove the baguette from the heat.
7. Spread each side of the baguette with ½ tablespoon of the sun-dried tomato-basil mayonnaise, then place cooked chicken breast, provolone, tomatoes, and onions on one side of the baguette (~2 tablespoons of cooked onions). Close sandwich.
8. Place back on griddle or hot panini press and cook for 2-4 minutes. Enjoy with a small side salad or cup of fruit.
Sun-Dried Tomato-Basil Mayo
Makes 30, 1 tablespoon servings
1 cup basil leaves, fresh
1 cup sun-dried tomatoes
2 tablespoons pinenuts, toasted if desired
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, fresh
1 tablespoon olive Oil
1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups Reduced Fat Hellmann’s Mayo
1. Rehydrate tomatoes in hot water. Once rehydrated, chop fine.
2. In food processor, place all ingredients except for the mayonnaise. Make sure to process well so it looks like pesto.
3. Process ingredients until they are well blended and somewhat smooth.
4. Last, place pesto into a mixing bowl and whisk in reduced fat mayonnaise until smooth or your desired consistency.
330 Calories | 23g Protein | 33g Carbohydrates | 3g Fiber | 13g Fat
Most recent from Nutrition