3 Vegetarian Recipes from Brazil’s Lapinha Spa
This Vegetarian Awareness Month we are thrilled to share flavorful and delicious vegetarian recipes from Brazil’s Lapinha Spa.
Serves 24; 189 calories per serving
6 tablespoons sunflower seed oil
1 large onion, cut into crescent moons
3 cloves crushed garlic
1 yellow pepper, diced
1/4 cup sundried tomato
1 medium eggplant, cut into crescent moons
2 teaspoons paprika
2 cups whole grain rice, cooked
2.5 cups vegetable broth
5 medium peeled tomatoes
2 teaspoons turmeric
2 teaspoons leek, diced
1 tablespoon celery
1/2 bundle of asparagus sticks
1 tablespoon sea salt
1.5 cups chickpeas cooked in vegetable broth, turmeric, and salt
1. Place turmeric in hot water or vegetable broth. Reserve.
2. Spread salt on the eggplant, allow to drain for 30 minutes to dehydrate, then wash, dry, and season with lemon.
3. In a pan, or large frying pan, heat the oil and braise the onion, garlic, yellow pepper, and eggplant for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Dust with paprika and stir again.
4. Mix the previously cooked rice, the tomatoes and the turmeric.
5. Allow it to boil, add salt then simmer on low burn for about 20 minutes, without the cover, shaking the pan constantly and stirring sporadically.
6. Add the asparagus, leek, celery and chickpea, already cooked (with the juices). Mix all the ingredients in the pan.
Carrot and Curry Soup
Serves 13; 105 calories per serving
2 medium onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
2.5 cups carrot, chopped
1 cup potato, chopped
1 teaspoon ginger, grated
1/2 teaspoon curry
juice from 1/2 lemon
1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
5 teaspoons sea salt
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
14.5 cups vegetable broth
1. Braise the garlic and onion in olive oil until golden.
2. Add the carrots and potatoes and half the curry and ginger, cook in boiling water for 20 to 30 minutes.
3. Take away from fire, let it cool down and blend in blender with the vegetable broth.
4. Put back on the burner, add all ingredients and let boil for 30 minutes.
5. Serve immediately with one thin lemon slice and sprinkle parsley on top.
30 servings; 62 calories per serving
1 and 1/4 cups hibiscus jam
1 cup soy cream
4 egg whites
2 tablespoons demerara sugar
1/4 cup crushed nuts
Peppermint leaves for garnish
1. Whip egg whites to a froth and reserve.
2. Blend the soy cream with hibiscus jam and sugar.
3. Mix cream with egg whites, the nuts, and decorate with peppermint leaves