A daily skin care routine is similar to that of an exercise routine. Lifting a weight one or two times or doing a plank occasionally won’t create muscle definition. Similarly, wearing sunscreen only when on vacation is not the plan for building a healthy complexion. Consistency is key for addressing skin concerns and creating a healthy skin routine that becomes part of your lifestyle.
Two main reasons why it’s important to have a daily skin care routine:
- Sweat, oil and dirt sit on your skin all day and your skin is constantly exposed to toxins. By skipping a cleansing step, you allow your skin to absorb pollutants. This is true even if you don’t wear make-up.
- With age, comes a slowing down in the rotation of skin cells. Simply doing one or two applications of a product is not enough to make a real difference in helping cells receive any benefit. An effective skin care routine needs to become a habit.
And, I encourage this habit to start early. I coach teenagers (and their parents) to start a daily routine during the teen years. As soon as hormones become a factor in a teen’s lifestyle, their skin will begin to change. Daily sun protection and cleansing are good habits to develop early, as well as treatment products if conditions, such as acne, exist.
In the 20’s, new skin cell production slows down by a rate of four times as cells go from a complete turnover every 5-7 days to every 21. This means fine lines begin to develop around the eyes & mouth and photodamage start showing in the form of freckles and spots. During this decade, mild resurfacing needs to start and be done two times per week. Antioxidants should be introduced for the extra protection of the cells. And, the cleansing and SPF routines started in the teen years carry over.
I’m in my 50’s, which means it takes two months for my cells to turn over. Here’s a look at my daily routine:
- In the a.m. – all of my products are from Skin Authority: Daily Cleanser, Super-C Serum, Wrinkle Reversing Serum, VitaD Fortified™ Topical Elixir and finish with Age Defying Moisturizer with SPF.
- In the p.m. – Daily Cleanser, Resurfacing Accelerator, Vitamin A Cell Renewal, Beauty Infusion™ Turmeric & Blueberry for Brightening, Tri-Power Peptide Hydrator or Night Revitalizer (I rotate them). Tip: Makeup wipes cannot replace a complete cleanse, they are best used to remove heavy makeup before
- I also love using the herb swertia chirata on my lips. I apply it in an infusion form in the a.m. and p.m. under lipstick.
- I recommend using a mask two times per week and having a professional facial once per month.
Again, you are unlikely to see any results by using products just once or twice. A good rule of thumb: If it’s taking you six months to use a bottle that is intended to be used in two, you are not benefiting from the active ingredients.
To stay on top of the latest wellness news, receive spa offers and get special members only on day spa/weekend retreats, click here.