Hugely popular in South America, ceviche dishes date back, way back, to the Incas. The seafood dish is traditionally made with fresh fish that has been marinated in lime juice, seasoned with salt and chile peppers, and served raw. The Farm at San Benito created a vegan variety of the popular dish by replacing fish with an assortment of mushrooms, while leaving the light, refreshing citrus flavor and hint of chile pepper. With summer around the corner, this vegan appetizer is bound to be a crowd pleaser at your next backyard barbeque!
Mushroom Ceviche (makes 4-6 servings)
3 cups mushrooms (king oyster, shiitake, maitake, enokitake, and/or button mushrooms), sliced
2 cups young coconut meat, julienned
1 red onion, diced
1 cup ripe tomatoes, diced
1 tsp garlic, minced
3 chile peppers, seeded and minced
4 tbsp cilantro, chopped
4 tbsp basil, chopped
4 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
¼ cup orange juice
1 tsp liquid aminos
4 tbsp lime juice
Black pepper, salt, cayenne, to taste
2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup bell pepper, diced
1 medium-sized cucumber, diced
1 mango, diced
3 tbsp tamari
2 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
6 tsp coconut sour creme sauce (see recipe below)
1. Mix the marinade ingredients and marinate the mushrooms in the mixture for at least 2 to 3 hours.
2. Drain mushrooms and combine thoroughly with all other ingredients.
3. Serve in a cocktail glass with a drizzle of sour creme and topped with a few corn and chili crackers (if desired). Sprinkle on some chopped fresh herbs and some thinly sliced onions, if required.
Coconut Sour Creme Sauce (makes 4 cups)
1 cup cashew nuts, soaked
3 cups coconut meat
¼ cup lemon juice
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp salt
¼ cup dill or cilantro, chopped (optional)
1. Put cashew nuts, coconut meat, lemon juice, honey, and sea salt in a blender. Blend until smooth.
2. Add the herbs, then pulse once.
3. Serve with appetizers, salads, or main courses.
You might also like:
Curves Complete Recipe: 30-Minute Farro Salad with Chicken and Green Beans
6 Teas to Help Fight Winter Colds
Forest Farro Stuffing with Fennel, Wild Mushrooms and Sage
5 Simple Ways to Get the Most Out of Breakfast + 2 Recipes
5 Surprisingly Tasty Healthy Snacks for Picky Eaters
Most recent from Nutrition