Curves Complete Recipe: 30-Minute Farro Salad with Chicken and Green Beans
- Published: Thursday, February 21st 2013
- in Nutrition
This whole grain recipe is a part of our Healthy Eating at the Office story! Read the full story for even more recipes and helpful tips to eat healthy while at the office.
“Before this recipe, I had never made farro. It’s delicious!” says Nadia Rodman, RD, director of nutrition for Curves International, Inc. “The taste is somewhat similar to brown rice. This is a great salad recipe that will fill you up without weighing you down. It can be eaten hot or cold, so leftovers would make a healthy lunch the next day. Enjoy! Please note, if you can’t find farro, quinoa, or brown rice could be substituted.”
Farro Salad with Chicken and Green Beans (Makes 4 servings)
½ cup farro
2 tbsp olive oil
4 chicken breasts (16 oz., 450 g)
3 cups green beans
1½ cups corn
3 green onions
1 tsp oregano
½ tsp salt
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
2 tbsp shallot
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 oz. (55 g) goat cheese
1. Bring a small pot of water to boil. Cook farro in boiling water until tender- about 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat half of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper and add it to the skillet. Cook 8 minutes per side or until cooked through. Transfer chicken to a cutting board and cut into small pieces.
3. Steam green beans and set aside.
4. If using fresh corn, cut corn off the cob and chop green onions (spring onions).
5. Mix farro, chicken, green beans, corn and green onions (spring onions) in a large bowl.
6. Mince shallot and in a small bowl combine remaining oil, oregano, salt, vinegar, shallot and mustard. Pour this dressing over the salad and toss to coat. Sprinkle goat cheese on top.
Nutrition information: 401 calories | 13 g fat | 4 g saturated fat = | 449 mg sodium | 37 g carbohydrate | 6 g fiber | 33 g protein
*Note: The image contains pomegranate seeds – feel free to add if you’d like!/small>
You might also like:
Change My Breakfast: 3 Deliciously Healthy Oatmeal Recipes
Miraval’s Blackened Beef Sirloin Tacos with Smoky Chipotle Aioli & Black Beans Charro-Style
The 10 Most Popular Food Stories of 2012
Mirbeau Recipe: Salmon en Papillote with Jasmine Rice Timbale
Gwinganna’s Raw Mushroom Salad with Snow Peas and Tahini Dressing