3 Tasty & Healthy Dip Recipes from Miraval: Edamame Guacamole, Tomato Pico de Gallo & Chipotle Cilantro Aioli
These three dips or sauces make an appearance in Miraval Resort & Spa‘s most-requested dish: Blackened Sirloin Tacos with Smoky Chipotle Aioli & Black Beans Charro-Style. Use one or all of these recipes with your favorite Mexican-style dish, or enjoy them on their own with some traditional tortilla chips.
Edamame Guacamole (Makes 2 cups)
1 cup frozen edamame beans, thawed
1 cup fresh broccoli florets
1 cup avocado, chopped
1 tbsp + 1 tsp fresh lime juice
½ tsp garlic, minced
¼ tsp jalapeno, minced
2 tbsp tomato, chopped and seeded
1 tbsp red onion, minced
1 tbsp green onions, thinly sliced
1½ tsp fresh cilantro, chopped
½ tsp kosher salt
Pinch freshly ground pepper
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Prepare an ice bath and set aside.
- Cook the edamame beans at a rolling boil until tender, 10-11 minutes. Drain the beans into a strainer and shock the ice bath. Drain well.
- Puree the avocado, lime juice, garlic, and jalapeno in a food processor at high speed. Add the edamame beans and process on high speed.
- Meanwhile, cook the broccoli at a rolling boil until tender, 7-8 minutes. Drain the broccoli and shock in the ice bath. Drain well and pat dry.
- Add the broccoli to the edamame mixture and process on high speed until very smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed to incorporate all the ingredients.
- Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl and fold in the remaining ingredients, mixing with a rubber spatula until well incorporated.
- Transfer the guacamole to an airtight container and refrigerate until well chilled, about 1 hour, before serving with accompaniment of choice. (The guacamole will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 days)
Nutrition information: 25 calories | 2 g total fat | 1 g carbohydrate | 1 g dietary fiber | 1 g protein
Tomato Pico de Gallo (Makes 1 cup)
¾ cup diced ripe tomatoes
¼ cup chopped red onions
1 tbsp fresh lime juice (1-2 average-sized limes)
1½ tsp chopped fresh cilantro
1 tsp jalapeno, minced and seeded
⅛ tsp chili powder
⅛ tsp ground cumin
⅛ tsp kosher salt
Mix all the ingredients in a medium bowl and stir well to combine. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled, 1 to 2 hours, before serving
Nutrition information: 15 calories | 0 g total fat | 4 g carbohydrate | 1 g dietary fiber | 1 g protein/
Chipotle-Cilantro Aioli (Makes ¼ cup)
3 tbsp low-fat mayonnaise
1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
2 tsp fresh lime juice
1 tsp drained, chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
½ tsp fresh garlic, minced
¼ tsp cumin powder
⅛ tsp salt
⅛ tsp freshly ground pepper
Whisk to combine, refrigerate until ready to serve.
Nutrition information: 15 calories | 0.5 g total fat | 2 g carbohydrate | 0 g dietary fiber | 1 g protein
You might also like:
6 Teas to Help Fight Winter Colds
The 10 Most Popular Food Stories of 2012
Mirbeau Recipe: Salmon en Papillote with Jasmine Rice Timbale
8 Foods to Beat Anxiety & the Winter Blues & Blahs
Top 5 Healthy Eating Apps