Nutrition Booster Week: Maple Sweet Potatoes to Boost Carotenoids
- Published: Thursday, March 5th 2015
- in Nutrition
Let’s boost the amount of nutrition we get out of sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes contain carotenoids which are super cancer fighting agents. We can increase the carotenoid absorption in our body by adding a bit of fat to the sweet potatoes.
What you’ll need:
3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 to 2 tablespoon maple syrup
3 teaspoons butter
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
1⁄4 cup to 1/3 cup milk
What you’ll do:
1. In a medium saucepan cook potatoes, covered, in a small amount of boiling water for 30 to 35 minutes or until very tender; drain.
2. Mash with a potato masher then beat with an electric mixer on low speed.
3. Add maple syrup, butter, and salt.
4. Gradually beat in enough milk to make potato mixture light and fluffy.
Play with your food
Add a pinch of nutmeg
Add a pinch of cinnamon
Top with finely chopped pecans