Tribeca Beauty Spa
If there’s a Wellness Week™ event taking place in your area, you should definitely take advantage and attend! I listened in on a lecture this week hosted by Tribeca Beauty Spa, along with holistic nutritional counselor Rebecca Sadek, and the insightful presentation was an impressive reminder of the amazing events (many of them free!) are taking place as we celebrate this national week of wellness.
Rebecca shared a couple of quick, simple nutrition tips…
1) Instead of filling your dinner plate with the entrée, fill half the plate with fruits and vegetables.
2) Look at nutrition from a positive standpoint – focus on what you can have to eat — healthy, good-for-you foods — not what you can’t.
…plus spoke on the top 5 elements you should be incorporating into your diet to get glowing skin:
1) Antioxidants: All types of berries (blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, etc.), beans, and beta-carotene, a form of vitamin A that can be found in foods like spinach and sweet potatoes. Don’t skimp on dessert either: Dark chocolate is rich in antioxidant flavanoids – but make sure it’s made of 65 percent cacao or more.
2) Essential fatty acids: Omega-3s are great; omega-6s not so beneficial. Apparently most people have too much omega-6 because it’s found in soybean oil (heavily infused in packaged snack foods like crackers, cookies, etc.) Get your omega-3s from salmon, flaxseed, almonds, salmon, or take a good-quality omega-3 supplement.
3) Green tea: This antioxidant-rich beverage, containing anti-inflammatory properties, is easy to slip into your diet – try substituting it for your a.m. coffee.
4) Leafy green veggies: Rebecca stated research shows the average American eats 200 pounds of meat and only 20 pounds of leafy green veggies per year! Start heading to the produce aisle and load your shopping cart with spinach, kale, Swiss chard, broccoli, Napa cabbage, and more.
5) Water: It eliminates toxins and brings in nutrients that are good for you skin.
Read more on foods for healthy skin. Also, check out the free Wellness Week™ events in your area!