Canyon Ranch Recipe: Shellfish Chowder
This deliciously light yet hearty chowder from Canyon Ranch’s Canyon Ranch Cooks book is perfect to warm you up when the leaves are falling outside – and, it doesn’t take too long to make. Whether you frequent the Canyon Ranch in Arizona, Massachusetts, or Miami, take a little bit of the award-winning spa home with you with this simple seafood chowder recipe.
Shellfish Chowder (Makes 8 servings)
2 tsp butter
⅓ cup diced onions
1⅓ cups peeled and diced carrot
⅓ cup diced celery
1 cup quartered red bliss potatoes
¾ tsp paprika
½ tsp thyme
Pinch of black pepper
1/3 cup white wine
1 ½ tsp tomato paste
1 cup diced tomatoes
1 cup clam juice
¼ cup all-purpose flour
2 cups 2% milk
6 oz. chopped shrimp, peeled and deveined
4 oz. chopped scallops
1 tbsp sherry wine
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
2. Add onions, carrots, and celery. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add potatoes, paprika, thyme, pepper, white wine, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, and clam juice. Bring to boil. Cover again and reduce heat. Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
4. Place flour in a medium bowl. Slowly add milk, blending with a wire whip. Slowly stream milk mixture into chowder. Continue cooking over medium heat until thickened, about 5 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent scorching.
5. Stir in shrimp, scallops, sherry, and parsley. Bring to simmer – not a boil – and cook for approximately 2 to 3 minutes, or until seafood is cooked through.
Each ¾ cup serving contains approximately 130 calories, 16g carbohydrate, 3g fat, 44mg cholesterol, 11g protein, 167mg sodium, and 2g fiber.