Miraval Recipe: Rack of Lamb with Cinnamon-Peppercorn Sauce
Enjoy this lamb recipe from Miraval Resort and Spa with or without the ravioli, or create your favorite side to delight in with succulent rack of lamb.
Rack of Lamb with Cinnamon-Peppercorn Sauce (Makes 4 servings)
4 6-oz. New Zealand lamb racks (4 to 5 bones each), trimmed and frenched
¼ tsp kosher salt
⅛ tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp Miraval Oil Blend or canola oil
1 recipe Butternut Squash Pancetta Ravioli (see below)
1 recipe Cinnamon-Peppercorn Sauce (see below)
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Lightly season the lamb on all sides with the salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet or sauté pan over high heat. Add the oil and when hot, add the lamb in and cook, turning until well browned, 3 to 4 minutes on meaty side, then 1 minute on bony side.
- Transfer the pan into your preheated oven and roast to desired temperature, 12 to 15 minutes for medium rare.
- Place the racks on a large cutting board and let rest for 1 to 2 minutes. Use a knife to cut the racks into two 2-bone chops each and divide among four plates. Spoon the sauce over the meat and arrange two ravioli on each plate. Serve immediately.
455 calories | 22 g total fat | 23 g carbohydrate | 9 g dietary fiber | 39 g protein
Butternut Squash Pancetta Ravioli (Makes 8 raviolis)
1 cup chopped, peeled butternut squash
¼ tsp Miraval Oil Blend (see above)
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
¼ cup chopped pancetta (about 2 ½ ounces)
2½ tbsp fine, dry bread crumbs
1 tbsp grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
1 tsp chopped fresh sage
⅛ tsp kosher salt
⅛ tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
8 square wonton wrappers
1 large egg beaten with 2 tsp. water to make an egg wash
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Combine squash and Miraval Oil Blend in a mixing bowl and toss to coat. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake until soft, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven. Reduce heat to 375° F.
- To prepare the ravioli, heat ½ tsp. of the olive oil in a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Add the pancetta and cook, stirring until the pancetta is crisp, about 3 minutes. Drain well.
- Place the pancetta, roasted butternut squash, and the remaining ingredients (except the wrappers and egg wash) in a food processor and puree until smooth. Alternately, place the squash in a medium mixing bowl and mash, then add in the pancetta and other ingredients, stirring well to combine.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Lay one wonton wrapper on a work surface and spoon about 2 tsp. of the mixture into the center. Lightly dab a small amount of the egg wash around the edges of the wrapper and lay a second wrapper on top, pressing down to seal; place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Bake the ravioli until cooked through, lightly toasted, and fragrant, about 13 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place two ravioli on each plate. Serve with Rack of Lamb with Cinnamon-Peppercorn Sauce or the entrée of your choice.
200 calories | 8 g total fat | 13 g carbohydrate | trace amounts of fiber | 5 g protein
Cinnamon-Peppercorn Sauce (Makes ⅓ cup)
¼ tsp Miraval Oil Blend (see above) or canola oil
½ cup thinly sliced yellow onion
¼ cup cleaned chopped portobellos
½ tsp whole black peppercorns
1 tsp fresh thyme
½ bay leaf
¼ cup brandy
1 cup good quality dry red wine, such as cabernet sauvignon or merlot
1 cinnamon stick
1½ red wine demi-glace (see below)
- Heat a medium saucepot over high heat. Add the oil; when hot, add the onions, mushrooms, peppercorns, thyme, and bay leaf; cook, stirring until the onions and mushrooms are soft, 3 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat, add the brandy, and very carefully ignite with a match. Once the flame subsides, return the pot to medium-high heat. Add the wine and cinnamon, and bring to a simmer. Cook until the liquid is reduced by half, about 5 minutes. The sauce will start to thicken, and that’s when you’re close to being done. Strain the sauce through a fine mesh strainer and reserve for plating.
Red Wine Demi-Glace (Makes 1 cup; serving size: 2 tbsp)
¼ cup sliced shallots
¾ tsp whole black peppercorns
6 sprigs fresh thyme
2 cups cabernet sauvignon
3 cup veal stock
- Combine the shallots, peppercorns, and thyme in a medium saucepan; place over high heat; and cook, stirring until the shallots start to soften, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the wine and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until reduced to about a quarter cup in volume, 14 to 15 minutes. Add the veal stock and cook until reduced to a syrup (thick enough to coat the back of a spoon), 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve hot.
30 calories | 0 g total fat | 2 g carbohydrate | 0 g dietary fiber | 0 g protein