Hot Springs Heating Up: 5 Reasons to Try This Old Yet Trendy Spa Experience
Bathing in hot springs, or “taking the waters,” dates further back than Roman times (it’s arguably the oldest spa experience worldwide), but the practice is experiencing what can only be described as a resurgence. What’s old is new again, and there’s never been a hotter moment for thermal/mineral springs—a market that’s now valued at $50 billion (yes, you read that right!), according to the Global Wellness Economy Monitor report, unveiled at the recent 2014 Global Spa & Wellness Summit.
Here are five reasons we suggest you try this old yet trendy spa ritual:
1. It’s affordable: Many hot spring experiences can be utilized for a relatively modest day rate.
2. It’s sociable: Hot springs are an excellent place for relaxation and conversation with friends, family, or other spa-goers.
3. It’s beneficial: Not only is soaking in hot springs a stress reliever, the practice of this naturally therapeutic spa treatment has been proven to help with certain skin ailments, aid in pain relief, and more.
4. It’s accessible: Hot springs are available all over the world, on every continent and arguably every country—and governments and developers are taking an interest and investing in impressive new projects on a global scale.
5. It’s authentic: Savvy travelers are seeking more local, not-your-run-of-the-mill spa experiences—and every hot springs destination is as diverse and local as it gets, right down to the different mineral properties of the waters.
6. (Yes, we know we said five, but here’s a bonus sixth—how relaxing does this above image look?! That’s reason enough for us; sign us up!)
Want to learn more about taking the waters? Read our 2014 Global Spa & Wellness Trends Forecast, which named hot springs as one of the top 10 trends and provided in-depth details, research, and findings.
Plus, see a list of thermal springs spas on spafinder.com.