Celebrate Pixie Month With The Oaks at Ojai This April
During the month of April, Ojai Valley, California, celebrates their home-grown sweet and seedless Pixie tangerines! Pixies were introduced in 1927 at UC Riverside Citrus Research Station using the King mandarin from Saigon and the Kincy; one of America’s most popular Christmas tangerines. Easy to peel and low in acidity, Pixies made their way to Ojai and quickly became a fruit of immense popularity and praise!
The Oaks at Ojai destination spa welcomes the exclusive tangerine during this upcoming month with a ton of incredible Pixie-infused wellness offerings that range anywhere from culinary to spa treatments! The Oaks excels at providing its guests with affordable fitness, nutrition, and stress-relief in an environment of down-to-earth charm at its charismatic 1920s hotel-turned-spa located in the quaint town of Ojai. For this very reason, you can rest assured that the destination spa makes Pixie month an unforgettable experience for its spa-goers!
As soon as guests arrive, there will be distinctive “scents” inundating the destination spa as the staff dresses in tangerine colored t-shirts and a platter of Pixie wedges at the front desk embrace guests to The Oaks! Pixie-infused water will be on offer in the Libbey Lounge and baskets of Pixies will be presented all over the property throughout April!
Check out some of The Oaks’ amazingly sweet Pixie offerings during the upcoming month:
- Green Tangerine Dream cleansing drink (pictured) with Pixie juice served each day
- Chef Christine Denney will conduct a Pixie cooking demo on April 5, 10, 19 and 24 with three menu items including the resort’s very own Pixie-infused Chocolate mousse!
- Guests will enjoy fantastic Pixie-inspired fare such as Pixie salads, a Pixie cupcake with Pixie marmalade topping as a dessert, Pixie Sweet Potatoes, Pixie and Pistachio Tapenade for seafood, Brussels Sprouts with Pixies and Balsamic Vinegar
- Pixie tangerine seasonal scrub is a full body scrub utilizing tangerine essential oils along with fresh tangerines being squeezed into products table-side. A tangerine scrub exfoliates and the tangerine body lotion hydrates the skin. Guests leave with a Pixie to go!
- Pixie pedicure, which includes fresh Pixie juice added to the sugar scrub used on the feet and lower legs. A selection of tangerine-colored lacquers are available along with many other colors. Guests leave with a Pixie to go!
- The Pixie package, a special five-night package that includes a complimentary Pixie Scrub treatment and 50 percent off a second treatment!
While Pixie tangerines are great for simply peeling and eating, why not incorporate them into a great new recipe as well?
Ojai Pixie and Pistachio Tapenade for Seafood
Serves: 8, Serving Size: 2 Tablespoons
¾ cup pistachios, coarsely chopped and lightly toasted
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or olive oil spray for pan
1 small onion (1 cup), halved and cut into thin strips
½ cup minced celery
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon fresh Pixie tangerine zest
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon fresh mint, minced
¼ cup Pixie tangerine juice, simmered and reduced to 2 tablespoons
A splash of Ojai Olive Oil Mandarin Oil
1. Saute the onion in the olive oil over medium heat until caramelized (10-15 minutes).
2. Add the celery and the garlic for the last minute of cooking.
3. Combine all ingredients and enjoy with fresh fish, shrimp, or just about any protein!
Add the perfect side dish to your Pixie-flavored protein:
Roasted Pixie Sweet Potatoes
Serves: 8, Serving size: 3 oz.
3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into ½” slices
1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
1 tablespoon mandarin olive oil
2 tablespoons Pixie tangerine juice
1 tablespoon molasses
1. Cook the potatoes by steaming until crisp tender. Cool and place potato slices on a baking sheet.
2. Combine the oil, garlic, juice, and molasses in a small bowl.
3. Using a pastry brush, spread the glaze over the potato slices.
4. Bake for approximately one-half hour in a preheated 325 degree oven.
5. Turn slices over, brush glaze on the other side of the potatoes, and continue baking for ½ hour.