Try it! DIY lip balm in 5 minutes or less.
DIY lip balm is surprisingly easy to make and it’s a great gift. Eve from Organic Beauty Recipes shared with us a super simple recipe, perfect for beginners. All you need is 4 ingredients: beeswax, castor oil, peppermint essential oil and coconut oil. Plus, containers. If you want to get fancy you can buy them on Amazon but you can put it in any small container. FYI: You’ll need to melt the beeswax and the oils in a double boiler. If you don’t have a double boiler put aluminum foil in a pan filled of warm water on low heat. No problem.
1 and a half teaspoon of organic beeswax pellets
Beeswax is the key ingredient that will harden your lip balm and should not be skipped!
1 teaspoon of organic castor oil
Castor oil comes from the Castor plant and is made of 95% ricinoleic acid which is an omega-9 fatty acid and help moisturizing the skin. It gives extra shine to the lip balm. If you don’t want shiny lip balm, you can replace the castor oil with almond or olive oil.
3 teaspoons of organic unrefined virgin coconut oil
Optional: 5 drops of peppermint essential oil
Lip Balm containersDirections:
- Melt beeswax and oils in a double boiler on low heat.
- When melted take it off the heat and add the essential oil (optional).
- Pour into lip balm containers right away before it starts to solidify.
- If it has already starting to solidify, don’t panic! Put it back into the double boiler for a few seconds until it melts again and pour the rest in the containers.
- Wait an hour until the lip balm has hardened and it is ready to use!
Eve is a certified aroma therapist and the author of the blog Organic Beauty Recipes. She creates easy DIY natural beauty recipes you can do right in your kitchen. By making your own natural beauty products you are making a statement: you do not want products that are filled with dangerous chemicals linked to cancer, hormone disruptions and other health problems. Join the DIY organic beauty community today on Facebook!