Melanoma Awareness: Be Sun Safe
- Published: Friday, October 14th 2016
- in Beauty
Melanoma Awareness: A Cause Near and Dear to Our Hearts
After our spa industry colleague and friend Alex Szekely, former president of the Golden Door and Rancho La Puerta, died of melanoma at just 44, Spafinder Wellness was inspired to make it Spafinder Wellness’s mission to educate others about melanoma awareness and prevention.
Melanoma is the most serious type of skin cancer and is often fatal if not detected early. Too much sun exposure can cause normal skin cells to become abnormal. These abnormal cells can quickly grow out of control and attack the healthy tissue around them.
Melanoma looks like a flat brown or black mole that has uneven edges. Melanomas usually have an irregular or asymmetrical shape.
It is estimated that more than one million new cases of melanoma will be diagnosed in the U.S. this year, and an estimated 7,700 of those will be fatal.
Join Spafinder Wellness in our fight against this deadly but highly preventable disease.
Our Melanoma Pledge
- Be sun smart
- Wear sunscreen year-round
- Use a minimum of SPF 15 sunscreen
- Have an annual full-body mole check
- Share this important message with others
- Melanoma Awareness 101
- The ABCDEs of Melanoma: What to Look For
- New FDA Rules Make Getting Best Protection Easier
- Research Shows Vitamin A May Reduce Melanoma Risk
- 7 Places You Forgot to Apply Sun Screen
- Your Stylist Could Save Your Life