8 Tips for Cancer Prevention
Did you know? Approximately 1.6 million new cancer cases are expected to be diagnosed in 2014, according to the American Cancer Society.* The organization shared with us its key tips for cancer prevention. This lifestyle advice may seem like common sense, but with the aforementioned statistic, perhaps we could all use a little reminder—let alone ask ourselves: How many of us are actually following these recommendations?
In the American Cancer Society’s own words:
- Stay away from tobacco products.
- Protect your skin. Limit sun exposure and always wear sunscreen.
- Achieve and maintain a healthy weight throughout life.
- Be physically active.
- Eat a healthy diet, with an emphasis on plant foods.
- If you drink alcohol, limit your intake.
- Know yourself, your family history, and your risks.
- Have regular check-ups and cancer screening tests. (View full screening guideline recommendations from the American Cancer Society here.)
American Cancer Society. Cancer Facts & Figures 2014. Atlanta: American Cancer Society; 2014.