Shelley Berc and Alejandro Fogel are the founders and directors of the very popular Creativity Workshop, which is exactly what it sounds like: a workshop on creativity. They conduct these programs all over the world (the duo is currently in Prague, followed by Dubai). Last week, they were in New York, and I was fortunate enough to be a participant in one of their workshops. Shelley and Alejandro will be joining us at the 2012 Global Spa & Wellness Summit in Aspen this June, doing a session for delegates who want to learn to think creatively and prepare for radical innovation and breakthrough solutions. Here are just a few things I learned:
- Imagination takes time
- It’s not easy to be innovative. If you are stressed, it’s almost impossible. The more relaxed we are, the more creative we can be. (Something for spas to note…)
- Everyone is creative. And they mean everyone.
- Children are naturally creative until someone criticizes them.
- Fear and shame are at the core of why people think they are not creative.
- Make time for playing, drawing, dancing, singing, writing, day dreaming, etc. (a.k.a. use the right brain and give the left a break).
Part of the workshop involved making a group visionary board on the floor. Making an online scrapbook is all the rage right now – thanks to Pinterest.com.
Question for the week: Which is your favorite Pinterest bulletin board?
This website has created a huge buzz in the Internet world. Users “pin” images to online bulletin boards. The founders of Pinterest say the site can “connect everyone in the world through the ‘things’ they find interesting” (sounds a lot like the Weekender’s goal, cough, cough). At first glance, Pinterest seems to be more creative, more right-brain focused and possibly more relaxed than other social networking platforms. So I gave it a try. I searched for boards on “spas,” “sauna design” and “exercise.” Then I tried food items and flowers – wow! My favorite so far? Chandeliers.
GSWS Pinterest Picks
We like chandeliers. We also like writing and yoga.
Most recent from Living Well