New Mom Tips: Ways to Travel With Ease & Save Time!
Sometimes all mom needs is a hand – especially the brand new mommies that can use all the help they can get! That’s why we caught up with health and fitness expert, and new mom, Jennifer Cohen, for tips on ways new mothers can travel with ease and save time! Read on for Jennifer’s tricks!
5 Travel Tips for New Moms
1. Always pack healthy snacks for yourself. You just can’t rely on nutritious snacks from a vending machine or snack stand. I always carry Evolve in my bag – they’re easy to pack, and with 12 grams of protein and only 110 calories, it keeps me satiated until my next meal. Remember, you have to take care of yourself to take care of your newborn!
2. Dress in layers. Layers will make the transition from air-conditioned flight to a sweaty taxi stand much easier! They’re also strategic – if a sweatshirt gets spit-up on it, you’ve got a fresh shirt underneath.
3. Give yourself extra time. Plan for the unexpected. A sudden diaper change, feeding, or spit-up will always happen and throw you off even the most perfectly timed schedule. Leave extra time so when these realities of motherhood throw you off schedule, you’ll still be able to make your flight. If you get to the gate early, walk around the terminal to burn a few extra calories and to get the blood circulating before your long plane ride.
4. Get an aisle seat. If you need to get up to go to the bathroom, to walk down the aisle to calm the baby, or even just to give yourself a little elbow room, the aisle is the way to go.
5. Wake up early. Though you may want grab sleep wherever you can, waking up before your child gives you some much-needed “me time,” especially when traveling. This extra time is perfect for a quick hotel workout. Pack a resistance band in your suitcase – it’s perfect for working your entire body, it’s quiet so it won’t wake your sleeping family, and it’s lightweight and won’t add bulk to your luggage.
5 Time-Saving Tips for New Moms
1. Plan. Restock the diaper bag each night after your little one is in bed. Doing so will alleviate the morning panic. Don’t forget to include snacks for yourself too. I always keep Evolve, a naturally flavored protein drink in my bag, to keep me fueled throughout the day.
2. Set Limits. You don’t have to join every Mommy and Me group and you don’t have to set a play date for every day of the week. Make sure you’re not overextending yourself; decide what is most important to yourself and your new family, and center your activities around these values. If something isn’t important to these values, it’s time to re-evaluate your involvement; is it benefiting you or just adding more stress?
3. Get Help. You do not have to do everything yourself. Don’t be afraid to ask for help and take some much needed “me” time.
4. Clean in 15 minutes. When you breeze past the mail pile, toss out the junk. Walking to the bedroom? Put your shoes away. These small, random acts of housekeeping every day can seriously organize your entire life. When cleaning is something you do constantly, it’s no longer a chore, it’s just a habit.
5. Be flexible. As much as you want to schedule every feeding, nap, and poop – you can’t! Try to let go and be flexible, which will in return create less stress.
You might also like:
10 Simple Equipment-Free Exercises You Can Do Anywhere
5 Fun & Interesting Cardio Workouts to Try Now
Top 10 Weight-Loss Myths, Debunked!
Cardio Workouts: Why It’s Important to Keep Your Heart Rate Up
6 Yoga Poses to Improve Memory & Help Combat ADD
Jennifer Cohen is a fitness and health expert who delivers a savvy, straight-talking approach to wellness and produces sustainable and dramatic results for her clients. Jennifer’s work goes beyond training. She is the lifestyle and fitness spokesperson for world class brands including Muscle Milk, Good Feet and Polar Heart Rate Monitors. Weight Watchers appointed Jennifer their fitness spokesperson as well as the national ambassador of their third annual “Walk it!” Challenge. Her bestselling book No Gym Required – Release Your Inner Rock Star (2009) outlines her no-nonsense approach to fitness and health, and serves as an overall healthy lifestyle guide. The book includes fitness plans and workouts that utilize a variety of moves that can be incorporated into any schedule anytime, anywhere, no excuses.