Written by Debra Duneier, Master Feng Shui Practitioner, LEED® Green Associate
One of the highlights of a spa vacation is a cozy, rejuvenating, and restful night’s sleep. Now you can create a Zen, peaceful night’s sleep at home with these 9 practical and easy ways to implement Feng Shui design for your bedroom.
Choose “yin” (calming) colors to ensure a peaceful sleep. Greens, blues, and violets are restful to our eyes and spirits.
- Organic bedding is a luxury that your body will thank you for. It feels great against your skin…so natural.
- Use black-out shades in your bedroom to prevent light pollution from seeping in. This will keep you in tune with your natural day-night cycle, helping to maintain balance and well-being.
- Be sure that the head of your bed is against a solid wall. This is called the “black turtle” in Feng Shui. It is the energy that supports and protects you.
- Feeling too wired to sleep? Electromagnetic fields which are emitted from electronic equipment can cause restlessness. So pull the plug on your electronics, for Zen Zzz’s.
- Bring the elements of nature indoors with a collection of sea shells, a rock garden, a potted plant or a piece of art that expresses the beauty of nature.
- It is important to be able to comfortably see the door to your bedroom from your bed. This creates a secure and calm environment.
- Remove photographs of family and friends from your bedroom and relocate them to the social rooms of your home. The bedroom is a sacred sanctuary for you, your spirit, and your dreams.
- Light a candle or incense, smooth on your favorite body lotion, or mist your bedding with the relaxing scents of lavender, sandalwood, rose, vanilla, or cinnamon. Inhale and smile as you feel all your tension drift away.
These simple tips will turn your bedroom into an environment that emanates relaxation and transports you into a blissful night’s sleep. Have a cup of chamomile or peppermint tea, listen to a guided meditation CD, read something inspirational, or write in your personal journal until your eyelids get heavy. Turn your lamp off and cuddle up in natural, organic night clothes and sleep baby, sleep…
For more Feng Shui and EcoChi ® tips visit: www.LivingHomeByDebra.com