The ABCs of Detox Packages
- Published: Friday, July 14th 2017
- in Living Well
Get The ABCs of Detox Packages
Detox and detox spa packages are popular buzzwords used to describe anything from multi-day fasts to a relaxing massage at a day spa. Understanding the ins and outs of detoxing can be confusing but we’re here to help you.
First the definition: the spa gurus at Spafinder define detox as changing your lifestyle–how you eat, drink, exercise, manage pain and even use text or email– to become healthier. There is some debate about the effectiveness of detox programs but many wellness experts believe they can be helpful and there are reputable programs at spas and wellness centers around the globe.
• Total body detox programs, usually found at spas and wellness centers, are designed to remove toxins and harmful substances from the colon, liver and kidneys. Award-winning Kamalaya Koh Samui Wellness Sanctuary and Holistic Spa Resort offers introductory, basic and comprehensive detox and cleansing programs, including colon hydration. If you’re thinking about a multi-day total detox program, be ready to make a commitment to change and choose a program that is carefully supervised. (We recommend checking with your doctor or health professional when considering this type of intensive program.)
• Weight loss and healthy nutrition are another types of detox. Guests at spas such as New Life Hiking Spa learn how to cleanse their bodies and get rid of impurities and toxins by eating unrefined, healthy cuisine, which happily is delicious! The idea is to help people gradually detox from processed food, harmful substances, and pesticides. You can also enjoy the benefits of detox simply by making these lifestyle changes at home.
• The jury is out on whether exercise detox programs alone can help your body detox. Ninety-nine percent of sweat is water, with a little salt, urea, proteins, and carbs thrown in, and toxins like mercury and alcohol are processed in your liver, kidneys, and digestive system. But exercising is healthy and spas like Shankara Ayurveda Spa at the Art of Living Retreat Center offer programs that can lead to a healthier lifestyle.
• With digital noise skyrocketing, new “noise detox” programs are on the rise, from “silent spas” to silent restaurants, salons, and gyms– even silent areas in airports. The famed Rancho La Puerta Fitness Resort & Spa has “Silent Dinners” set to soft music. Mandarin Oriental properties recently held “Silent Night” spa retreats with no music or talking and silent therapists. Many spas also ask guests to surrender their digital devices at check in and detox from noise and distractions for their stay. The popularity of meditation programs and retreats are another example of the quest to detox the mind as well as the body.
Detoxing is said to promote clearer skin, better sleep, fewer toxins in your body, reduced stress and improved digestion. Whether you choose a three-day or three-week program or just decide to live a healthier lifestyle and avoid toxins in the first place, you can find a detox program that works for you.