Tea: The British made it both popular and proper; the Japanese center a revered ceremony around it, and Oprah promotes it at Starbucks (and, as for me, I perfected the art of hosting tea parties as a preschooler). Drinking a cup of tea not only has a calming effect (perhaps that’s one reason spas serve it in relaxation rooms) but it offers amazing, antioxidant-rich health and beauty benefits.
Sip on this.
Drink up the benefits—studies show green tea can help:
- Anthony Skin-Care Line Wake Up Call: This hydrating gel from the Anthony men’s line blends aqua cacteen, green tea, and caffeine to reduce redness, puffiness, and inflammation while firming your face—no matter if you achieved only two hours of sleep the night prior. And the secret ingredient to wake up your skin? Menthol! $38; http://anthony.com
- Exuviance DePuffing Eye Serum: Chamomile, green tea, and cucumber refresh the eye area, caffeine energizes the skin, and a micro-roller applicator massages the area to boost circulation. $72, http://www.neostrata.com/home.do
- The Gaithersburg, Maryland-based Tea Spa Wellness Center uses green tea in its Body Contouring Green Tea Wrap that reduces water retention, decreases the appearance of cellulite, and slims. 60 mins; $125
Drink up the benefits—matcha tea is said to:
- Boost metabolism
- Burn calories
- Lower cholesterol
- Combat bacteria
- The Pangea Organics Japanese Matcha Tea Acai Goji Berry Facial Mask is not only an award-winning vegan product, but it’s gluten free. pangeaorganics.com; $45
Drink up the benefits—studies show white tea can aid in:
- Maintaining healthy joints
- Strengthening collagen and elastin (ideal for skin!)
- Origins A Perfect World™ Antioxidant Cleanser with White Tea is gentle and non-drying, highlighting silver-tipped white tea, plus, palm, coconut, and oat amino acids. $12.00-$23.50; origins.com
Drink up the benefits—it’s been reported black tea::
- Boosts energy and alertness
- Decreases risk of heart attack, diabetes, high cholesterol, and Parkinson’s disease
- Protects against free radicals to improve appearance of skin
- Testing for Fresh Black Tea Instant Perfecting Mask showed “a significant moisturizing effect for six hours,” with 94 percent of participants reporting softer skin and 81 percent experiencing smoother, improved skin texture. fresh.com; $88
- The Spa at The Setai by THÉMAÉ features the Complexe des 4 Thés® (4 Teas Elixir)—a mix of antioxidant green tea, white tea, rooibos (red) tea, and black tea with pure spring water sourced from France—in select treatments like the Purity Ritual. 60 mins; $180
In “The Secret Ingredient!” we showcase a mix of popular and not-so-well-known power-player ingredients found in your favorite products and detail their benefits, unveil some fun facts, and share products and treatments you can find them in! Have an ingredient you want to learn more about? Tell us what it is below!