A visit to the Canyon Ranch Lenox, Massachusetts, property gave me true insight into what it means to visit a destination spa. For those of you who may not know, a destination spa is a bit different than, say, traveling to a resort or a hotel, where you have the potential to travel healthfully, but that could be an afterthought amidst the drinks by the pool, the all-day snacking, the lounging around, etc.—all the other overindulgences we find fun yet tend to be excessive. And that’s okay! It’s vacation, after all—but if you’re seeking a true health vacation, a destination spa may be where it’s at—the International SPA Association (ISPA) defines it as “a facility with the primary purpose of guiding individual spa-goers to develop healthy habits. This lifestyle transformation can be accomplished by providing a comprehensive program that includes spa services, physical fitness activities, wellness education, health cuisine, and special interest programming.”
Here are six reasons to visit a destination spa.
1. Experience wellness travel—to its fullest. Destination spas afford the opportunity to be completely immersed in the wellness scene, with lodging, fitness classes, educational programming, mind-body-spirit endeavors, and cuisine (and sometimes spa treatments) most often included in one price.
2. Age is nothing but a number at destination spas. You’re surrounded by like-minded travelers of all ages, and there’s normally a “no-pressure” attitude—these spas aim to promote a comfortable vibe, presenting a variety of health activities for all ages and skill levels.
3. You get to wear yoga pants or workout clothes all day, even to meals…and it’s totally okay.
4. Always wanted to take on a spin class but are apprehensive about trying it at your local gym, where everyone knows you? No worries. Destination spa itineraries are chock-full of options to enjoy and challenge yourself. You’re able to try things you haven’t before, from fitness classes to adventure courses to spa treatments, and no one will judge you.
5. Here’s the dish at destination spas—typically the food is nutritious and portion controlled, allowing you to maximize the benefits of the exercise, treatments, and other programs in which you’re engaged.
6. You leave feeling absolutely amazing, with the skills and know-how to maintain a healthy lifestyle upon your return home.
Your Wellness Tip To-Go:
Need destination spa ideas for your next trip? Find them at spafinder.com!
Most recent from Travel & Play