Kiss Unwanted Hair Goodbye: Laser Hair Removal 101
A little well-timed laser hair removal will have you strutting around carefree in a bikini, cheering others on and playing volleyball on the sandy beaches. Bikini area, armpits, legs and even the face are prime candidates for laser hair removal procedures. Hairy has thankfully not made a comeback this year. So how do you maintain a smooth carefree look? Book an appointment and get to it. Summer is almost here.
What do you need to know about Laser Hair removal?
- Time it well! You’ll need to see the doctor for a series of 6-8 treatments to remove hair thoroughly in time for Fourth of July or that August vacation. Also, consider your lifestyle and make sure you don’t get sun exposure in the areas you are treating. For example, if you know that during the summer you go for a run every afternoon, you might want to consider not treating your face during that time. It might be best to do it during the winter.
- Hair removal works best on dark thick hair. Seek a consultation as soon as possible so your doctor can tell you whether or not this is an option for you. If not, schedule a bikini wax for a less permanent solution.
- Ask questions and look at pictures. Who is going to conduct the treatment? What are her qualifications? A lot of centers today seem to have people who work under a licensed physician. You might want to elect to choose the person who has some expertise in hair removal/electrolysis etc. It’s important to read reviews before you visit any establishment.
- Cooling application- depending on the equipment used, you might get this applied. It will help when the laser hair removal tool is administered. It will aid to keep your skin cool in the sensitive area.
- Some areas are more sensitive than others. Be vocal. If it hurts, say so. The treatment should not burn the skin and it’s important to be conscious of pain thresholds.
- Redness- depending on the equipment used, the area might stay red for a bit. Use topics that will soothe the area post treatment. Zim’s Max Freeze is a personal favorite with arnica and eucalyptus tea tree to help with inflammation and irritation. Aloe Vera helps as well. Make sure you protect the treatment areas and don’t expose them to the sun immediately after the session.
- More than one treatment will be required. Packages are available. Ask, as competition in this area, has driven costs down in the market. Be conscious though that you do receive treatment with an authorized clinician. Consistency is key. Don’t think that because you’ve done three treatments that is all you need. You’ll need to finish your treatments to avoid a regrowth.
If all goes well, you’ll be hair-free this summer season. If not, waxing is an option you can look into. Good luck on the beach and enjoy!