Best Destinations for a Destination Wedding
Know you’d like to have a destination wedding but can’t decide where to host your “I do’s”? Here are our top picks for the best locations to consider for your nuptials. We vow you’ll love them—when it comes to gorgeous wedding destinations, these locations take the cake.
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Say yes to this destination because: Once a quaint fishing town, Playa del Carmen, within the Riviera Maya, is now pure escapism, marrying pretty beaches with teal Caribbean Sea waters and trendy hotels with shopping, dining, and nightlife.
- Where to Wed: The recently opened Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen dazzles with 15,000-plus square feet of event space, along with a bridal suite, beachfront wedding gazebo, and culinary team that creates seasonal, regional menus. Pre-nuptials, get pretty in the on-property, cenote-shaped spa.
- After the I Do’s: From nearby Mayan archaeological ruins to the Meso-American Barrier Reef (a must for scuba divers and snorkelers) to La Quinta Avenida, you and your wedding party will find plenty of post-ceremony fun.
Laguna Beach, California
Say yes to this destination because: This seven-mile coastal town between Los Angeles and San Diego offers casual charm with exquisite seaside SoCal beauty, from the Pacific Ocean to the rugged canyons and bluffs. Plus, the Mediterranean-like climate almost guarantees perfect wedding day weather.
- Where to Wed: The beautiful Montage Laguna Beach boasts 22,400 square feet of bluff-top lawns and gardens.
- After the I Do’s: Explore the more than 20 alluring coves via surfing, kayaking, paddleboarding, etc., peruse the many galleries and shops, bike or hike the Laguna Coast Wilderness Park—and discover why idyllic Laguna Beach Is renowned for embracing nature, art, and beach lovers.
Oahu’s North Shore, Hawaii
Say yes to this destination because: Aloha and wedding bells go hand in hand on Oahu’s North Shore—a must-marry spot for water lovers, as this heavenly stretch of coastline is known as the Seven-Mile Miracle.
- Where to Wed: More than 350 weddings occur annually at Turtle Bay Resort, but the property strives to make each one unique—whether you’d like a ceremony on the beaches of Kuilima Cove, the stables, or the 18th green of the golf course.
- After the I Do’s: Head to the surf because Oahu’s North Shore is known as the place to find the “perfect wave.” Follow the massive crowds to watch a surfing competition like the Vans Triple Crown or take your pick of North Shore beaches—including the famous Waimea Bay or Ehukai Beach, aka Banzai Pipeline.
Say yes to this destination because: Could there be a more romantic place to hold your nuptials than the city of love? We think not.
- Where to Wed: The chic Le Bristol Paris has seven historic salons, including Salon Versailles. The elegant space fits 250 and features French doors that run the length of the room, leading out onto on-site gardens.
- After the I Do’s: Visit the Luxembourg Gardens where some of history’s most celebrated couples, including Napoleon and Josephine, ambled amidst the promenades, statues, fountains, and flowers— très romantique.
Say yes to this destination because: Imagine your wedding photos being taken against the backdrop of Capri’s dramatic limestone cliffs, rocky coastline, villas, bougainvillea, and sweeping sea.
- Where to Wed: The modern Capri Palace Hotel and Spa sits 300 meters above sea level in the town of Anacapri, enveloped by the Mediterranean Sea and the Gulf of Naples. Wedding venue possibilities include the famed Michelin-Star L’Olivo restaurant (and if your guests stay here, they have access to the Capri Beauty Farm spa, beach club, and guest rooms with private pools and gardens).
- After the I Do’s: The Blue Grotto is a highpoint of Capri; in Anacapri, ride the chairlift to Monte Solaro for indescribable island views.
Say yes to this destination because: Greece’s largest island of Crete is a shining example of a population with a proud sense of history, capped off by exceptional scenery and wonderful cuisine.
- Where to Wed: OUT OF THE BLUE, Capsis Elite Resort, in Heraklion, boasts an on-site private chapel; for a truly authentic feel, you can decorate for your big day with flowers sourced from the resort’s gardens. The resort’s team even helps with off-property ceremonies if you’d like to get married on Dia Island, aboard a yacht, or in front of a local castle.
- After the I Do’s: An assortment of museums and archaeological sites should not be missed: the 13th-century Panagia Kera, Heraklion Archaeological Museum, Minoan ruins of Agia Triada, Knossos, and Phaestos. Plus, mingle with locals on the striking beaches and in the villages or toast the newlyweds at one of Crete’s many vineyards.
New York, New York
Say yes to this destination because: Yes, an NYC wedding may be pricey, but an urban-chic affair against the city’s bright lights could also be incredibly glamorous.
- Where to Wed: The Surrey, The Peninsula New York, Mandarin Oriental, New York—all of these hotels afford Central Park views from select wedding venues.
- After the I Do’s: Plenty. From morning to night, fill your day by visiting the theater, Empire State Building, Metropolitan Museum of Art, Central Park, the list goes on…This is dubbed the city that never sleeps, after all.
Say yes to this destination because: Walk down the aisle, tropical isle-style—Anguilla is a good choice for no-fuss couples, courtesy of its easy-going vibe, friendly locals, and white-sand beaches that flow into aqua waters. The northernmost island in the Leeward island chain, it is considered more exclusive than many Caribbean islands.
- Where to Wed: Malliouhana, An Auberge Resort, offers a bevy of ceremony and reception sites; just one wedding is performed each day so you needn’t worry about sharing attention.
- After the I Do’s: Glorious public beaches are uncrowded, and typically calm waters experience temps spanning from 70° F-80° F.