Ask Susie: Healing Spa Retreats
I recently suffered the loss of a very dear friend. I am emotionally, physically and mentally drained. It still feels unreal. I am looking for a 5-7 day retreat to heal my mind, body and spirit.
-V. in Ohio
First of all, let me extend my sincerest condolences to you on your recent loss as undoubtedly it is a challenging time. I also want to assure you that many people go on a spa trip after losing a loved one because of the supportive and nurturing setting. All destination spas have an element of healing and helping people find peace.
Below you will find a list of spas that would be worth considering. However the first spa that came to my mind after reading your question was Miraval in Arizona. It has a very supportive environment and they offer a very unique grief counseling program called “Moving Through Grief and Loss” which emphasizes mindfulness and healing.
- Elemental Embrace: The Wellness Spa Retreat Sundara Inn & Spa
- Canyon Ranch
- Abundant Life Wellness Centre, Health Retreat & Spa
- Green Valley
- Raj, Maharishi Ayurveda Health Spa
- Grail Springs Health Spa & Wellness Center
- Crystal Mountain Resort & Spa
- Maharishi Ayurveda Health Center Lancaster
- Red Mountain Resort & Spa
If you are comfortable with doing so, I’d recommend sharing with the spa staff what you’ve been through so they can best be supportive and customize a program to help you get the most out of your experience.
Wishing you all the best,