Green Valley Spa’s Whole Grain Waffles
- Published: Sunday, March 27th 2011
- in Nutrition
This health and fitness-oriented spa is known for access to some of the best scenic hiking trails in the country, and has a spa cuisine program to match. Green Valley Spa in southwestern Utah prepares its healthy meals around the seasonal availability of vegetables, meats, and fruits.
Whole Grain Waffles Ingredients (Serves 20; makes 20 4-inch square waffles):
1 quart nonfat buttermilk
2 eggs, whole
⅓ cup honey
1½ cup rolled oats
1½ cup whole wheat flour
1¼ cup buckwheat flour
½ cup polenta cornmeal
2 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 cup egg whites
Vegetable oil spray as needed
1. Combine the buttermilk, whole eggs, and honey in a large bowl. Process the oats in a blender or processor until mealy.
2. Combine the flours, rolled oats, polenta cornmeal, baking powder, and cinnamon in a separate bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the liquid ingredients and mix just until incorporated.
3. Whip the egg whites to a soft peak and fold into the batter.
4. Lightly spray a hot waffle iron with vegetable oil and ladle the batter into the waffle iron. Cook until the waffles are golden brown, about 3 minutes. Serve immediately.
Chef’s tip: To keep waffle crisp, toss it back and forth between open-palmed hands.
Serving suggestions: serve waffles with fresh peaches, toasted pecans and maple syrup, or warmed fruit and yogurt.
Nutritional information per serving: 150 calories; 1.5 g fat (10% calories from fat); 7 g protein; 27 g carbohydrate; 25 mg cholesterol; 200 mg sodium