Special Holiday Recipe: Duck Confit, Slow Cooked Lentils & Sweet and Sour Carrots
Festive Feast: 2 Holiday Recipes to Impress Your GuestsCourse: Recipes
- DUCK CONFIT
4 whole duck leg quarters (thigh and leg)
2 tbsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
1 sprig rosemary
Black pepper to taste
1 lb duck fat or clarified butter
1 lb black lentils
1 onion minced
1 carrot diced small
2 stalks celery diced small
2 bay leafs
2 lb chicken broth
3 cloves chopped garlic
4 carrots peeled and cut into 1/2 inch rounds
2 cups red wine
1 tsp red wine vinegar
1 cup brown sugar
Pinch of ground cloves
Pinch of ground cinnamon
Zest of one orange
1 tsp butter
- DUCK CONFIT
- Place duck legs with the salt, sugar, and black pepper in a bowl cut orange in half and squeeze over top. Cover and let sit in refrigerator overnight (no longer than 12 hours).
- Next rinse legs under water and pat dry. Place the duck fat in a small pot (large enough to hold the duck) turn on low heat until just melted.
- Add the duck legs and rosemary. The duck should be submerged under the fat. Cover with aluminum foil and cook slowly at 250F for 3 hours or until meltingly tender.
- Sauté the vegetables with a small amount of olive oil or duck fat for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Add lentils and broth then simmer until the lentils are tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sauté the carrots until they just start to caramelize. Add the red wine, vinegar, brown sugar and spices. Cook on medium heat until the sauce thickens and glazes the carrots.
- Add the butter and orange zest and season with salt and pepper.
- On a large plate, spoon 1 cup of cooked lentils on the plate, place the duck leg on top of the lentils. Place the carrots around the plate and top with a small amount of the glaze. Garnish with chopped parsley.
- Calories are per serving