Healthy Holiday Side Dish Recipe: Autumn Kale Salad
Healthy Holiday Side Dishe Recipe: Autumn Kale SaladCourse: SaladsCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
¼ cup panko bread crumbs, toasted to golden brown
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1-2 average-sized lemons (use your Microplane to zest one of the lemons before juicing)
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp minced garlic
½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
6 cups black kale, ribs removed, rinsed well, spin dry and chopped
¼ cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Spread the bread crumbs on a small baking sheet and lightly toast in the oven until golden brown, 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and transfer into a cool dish to avoid overcooking.
- Combine the lemon juice and garlic in a blender and blend over medium speed until mixed. Increase the blender speed to high, and slowly drizzle in the oil until smooth and thick. Ideally, this dressing will be very lemony and garlicky. Adjust flavors to your taste using additional lemon juice or fresh minced garlic.
- Place the kale in a large bowl and toss with the dressing, coating well; let rest for 10-15 minutes, or until the leaves begin to wilt slightly. Add 2 tbsp of the cheese and all but 2 tsp of the bread crumbs to the kale; toss and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Divide the salad among four plates, and top each serving with 1 ½ tsp of the remaining cheese, ½ tsp of the bread crumbs, a pinch of fresh lemon zest and a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes.
- Serve immediately.
- Note: Makes 4 1/2 cup servings
- Calories are per serving