Summer Salads: Watermelon & Feta Recipe
Summer Salads: Watermelon & Feta RecipeCourse: SaladsCuisine: Vegetarian
By Chris Rendell, Executive Chef. Currently served at the River Yacht Club in Miami, Florida.
¼ seedless watermelon, finely sliced
2 tablespoon lemon-marinated feta
1 teaspoon bloomed basil seeds
4 cherry tomatoes cut in half
Picked salad greens
- Lemon Feta
2 tablespoon drained feta cheese
1 lemon – zest and juice
1 teaspoon finely chopped chives
1 teaspoon finely chopped parsley
Salt and pepper
- In a large mixing bowl, use your hands to crumble the feta. Add lemon zest, lemon juice, chopped chives, chopped parsley, salt and pepper to taste and combine well.
- Basil Seeds
- Place 1 tablespoon of basil seeds in a mixing bowl and cover with 3 tablespoons of water. After 5-10 minutes they should begin to bloom, transforming from dry small seeds to swollen seeds with a pearl-like look and texture. If they still look dry, don’t be afraid to add a few more teaspoons of water.
- To Assemble
- Lay the sliced watermelon on a large plate. Sprinkle the watermelon with the marinated feta. Place the cherry tomatoes over the feta. Dress with the basil seeds, drizzle with olive oil, and finish with fresh baby greens.
- (Bonus: If you want you can save the watermelon rind to pickle, it’s a great addition to this salad or just great to snack on!)
- Basil seeds can be found at health food shops or Asian grocery stores.