Cal-a-Vie Recipe: Seared Sea Bass with Roasted Artichokes, Baby Beets, and Heirloom Tomato Vinaigrette
With a bounty of seasonal vegetables including heirloom tomatoes, baby beets, and artichokes, this recipe from Cal-a-Vie is rich in the fresh flavors of both land and sea. While this seafood dish looks complex and having three parts to prepare may look intimidating, each is quick and simple. Combine them together and you have a gourmet entrée that you will surely impress yourself with – and any diners lucky enough to get a taste.
Seared Sea Bass with Roasted Artichokes, Baby Beets, and Heirloom Tomato Vinaigrette
Garnish Ingredients and Preparation:
1 bunch baby candy stripe beets (roasted, peeled, and cut in half)
12 baby artichokes (trimmed, simmered, and cut in half)
- In a medium skillet, place 1 tbsp oil until hot and add artichokes to brown slightly.
- Add the cooked beets and just warm with lowered heat.
- Finish by placing the mixture onto four separate plates.
Vinaigrette Ingredients and Preparation:
1 tsp Dijon mustard ½ cup diced heirloom tomatoes
1 tbsp chopped shallots 1 cup diced kalamata olives
⅛ cup balsamic vinegar 1 tbsp capers, rinsed
½ cup extra virgin olive oil Salt and pepper to taste
½ tsp agave syrup
- Combine the mustard, shallots, and vinegar in a bowl and whisk.
- Slowly drizzle in the oil then the sale, pepper, and agave.
- Add the capers, tomatoes, and olives – fold in. Keep at room temperature until serving.
Fish Ingredients and Preparation:
Four 4 oz. pieces of sea bass
2 tbsp grape seed oil
Salt to taste
- To sear the fish, add oil to a large sauté pan until hot; place sea bass in pan and sear until golden brown.
- Place in oven at 400F and continue to cook 5-6 minutes until the fish is slightly firm. Salt to taste.
- Remove fish from the oven and turn over; pat the bottom of the fish dry with a towel and place it onto the artichoke beet mixture.
- Drizzle 1 tbsp of vinaigrette around the fish and vegetables. Finish with the micro greens.
Nutrition facts for each 4 oz. serving size: 309 calories, 14g fat.