Recipe: Classic Apple Pie with a Healthy Twist
Recipe: Classic Apple Pie with a Healthy TwistCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
Deserts made with apples are a yummy delight. In addition, they are a vitamin boost and the ultimate high fiber food.
The Powerful Apple
Packed with antioxidants, vitamins, and filled with fiber and potassium, apples are a crunchy, munchy SuperFood. One apple contains nearly fifteen percent of the recommended requirement of vitamin C.
An apple is also an excellent source of B-complex vitamins. However, most of an apple’s healthy antioxidants are in the skin so make this apple desert recipe with unpeeled apples.
3½ to 4 pounds of unpeeled apples (six to seven), sliced thin. Fuji and Gala apples are sweeter than the Granny Smith variety
2 tbsp. of instant tapioca to thicken
¼ cup granulated sugar (or less) plus 2 to 3 tbsp. light brown sugar
¾ tsp. cinnamon
¼ tsp. nutmeg
- Mix the ingredients together in a bowl until the sugar is dissolved and the apples are evenly coated.
- Rest mixture for 30 minutes or more to enhance flavors.
- Fill your favorite pie shell with the filling and bake at 375 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes or until the center of the pie bubbles.
- Cool for 20 minutes or more.
- (Nutrition hint: Save calories by rolling the piecrust thin.)
- Calorie count is per serving