Soho House NYC’s Cowshed Spa Gets Its Yoga On
- Published: Tuesday, July 19th 2011
- in Fitness
Staying in line with spa and wellness converging into one experience, Soho House NYC’s Cowshed Spa is now offering morning yoga classes, both in its spa relaxation room as well as on its roof (of Sex and The City fame) to members and hotel guests!
I was lucky enough to check these classes out, and loved the experience both on the roof and in the spa. Practicing yoga outside with the blue sky surrounding you is one of the best ways to start your day, and instructor Paulo Hudson of DavidBartonGym focused on alignment for my first class – exactly what I needed.
I also experienced an invigorating and grounding indoor class in the spa’s intimate relaxation room (pictured, right). Taught by Heart of Yoga™-certified instructor Douglas Drummond, who is also the spa manager, the class is taught in Hatha yoga tradition, while combining elements of Vinyasa at the same time. We focused on being mindful of our bodies and our breath, while working up a sweat – one of the most vigorous and inspiring starts to any morning. Surrounded by rich earthy tones and looking up at a solid and rustic-looking wooden ceiling, taking a class in the Cowshed Spa’s relaxation room “really grounds the yogic offering to our personal connection to the earth,” Drummond says.
What other benefits are there to taking a class out of the gym?
“Gyms often accentuate the physical aspect of the self, whilst in yoga we do still want to celebrate the physical aspects of ourselves but also alleviate some of the pressure away from vanity, self-image, and the notion that bigger, stronger, faster, leaner, etc. are not the only important qualities of a healthy and balanced lifestyle,” Drummond explains.
Here’s one move Drummond says everyone can do at home:
Cow (Bitilasana) & Cat (Marjaryasana):
- Start on your hands and knees in a “tabletop” position.
- Make sure your knees are set directly below your hips and that your wrists, elbows and shoulders are in line and perpendicular to the floor.
- Center your head in a neutral position, eyes looking at the floor.
- As you inhale, lift your sitting bones and chest toward the ceiling, allowing your belly to sink toward the floor. Lift your head to look straight forward.
- As you exhale, round your spine toward the ceiling, making sure to keep your shoulders and knees in position. Release your head toward the floor, but don’t force your chin to your chest.
- Go through this series of motion 12 times as part of a daily yoga practice; it can be a great way to stretch your spine first thing in the morning!
And here’s the class schedule through the end of this month! These classes are for members and hotel guests, but if you have a member-friend, get them to bring you along!
Yoga in the Shed. Tuesday, July 19, 26, 10 a.m .
Join us every Tuesday morning for a yoga session in the Cowshed. Our instructor, Douglas is a certified teacher – in addition to being the Spa Manager. The classes will be in the Hatha yoga tradition, whilst combining elements of Vinyasa to create a vigorous and inspiring start to your morning. Space is very limited.
Sunrise Vinyassa Yoga on the Roof. Wednesday July 20, 27, 8 a.m.
Yoga with our friends at DavidBartonGym will change the way you look, feel and think. Classes focus on breathing in relation to postures that improve flexibility, balance, coordination and strength.
Hatha Yoga on the Roof. Thursday, July 21, 28, 8 a.m.
Join us every Thursday for a morning yoga session on the Roof with Douglas. The classes will be in the Hatha yoga tradition, whilst combining elements of Vinyasa to create a vigorous and inspiring start to your morning.