The Power of Touch: 8 Tips to Embrace the Healing Benefits of Touch
By Jean Kolb, director of wellness for Kohler Co. and former ISPA chairperson
Touch…it’s the first sense we experience at birth when we are placed in our mother’s arms and, if we are fortunate, the last we experience from loved ones at the end of our lives. Positive touch enriches our lives and is a powerful (and potentially healing) tool that evokes many emotions. The power of touch can heal the world, perhaps not always on a physical level, but most certainly on an emotional one.
At Kohler Waters Spa, and most spas throughout the world, we know firsthand the therapeutic and healing benefits of touch – it can help bring balance into someone’s life, it can create a sanctuary of peace and relaxation in your mind and your body, and it sure helps in getting back to a centered place so we can face the world again tomorrow. Bottom line: Don’t take touch for granted.
Here are a few tips to help you embrace the power of touch:
1) Your touch is as unique as your fingerprints. No one has the same gifts and healing ability in their hands as you do in yours, and that’s because it is woven with your heart. Use this very special gift to express your love to others.
2) When greeting someone that you want to make a connection with, not only should you extend your hand, but also your heart through a light touch on the shoulder, back, or arm. It’s easy and makes for a great connection.
3) Soft is sweet. When rubbing a loved one’s back, sometimes we want to get the knots out, however, soft touches can raise the hair on the back of their necks, while also getting them to relax, and thus, breathe easier and relieve stress. It also says a lot without saying a word.
4) Pin-point and go deep. When a body is experiencing undue pain, usually due to stress, go to the source and then using one finger or thumb, pin-point the area and apply pressure while the person breathes deeply.
5) When being touched—whether by a loved one or through a professional spa treatment—it is a time where you can give up control and let the other person give their positive energy to you. Let them be the conductor in the symphony of touch and beautiful music will happen as a result.
6) Contrary to the saying, it is just as good to give as it is to receive! Reciprocity when someone touches you makes for a deeper connection.
8) Touch is not just for humans. Animals respond instinctively to positive touch; do you know of any pooch that can resist rolling over to have you scratch his/her belly the minute you touch him/her? They give in and let go, and as a result, experience sheer pleasure. We can learn a lot from them.
Above all, embrace it. Touch has intangible benefits to all those who use it positively and wisely.
* * * * *
You might also like:
Knead to Relax? The Physical and Emotional Benefits of Massage
Reflexology 101: Not Just a Foot Massage
Managing Your Stress and the Benefits of Massage
Spa 101: What is a Couples Massage?
Connect with Nature: The Physical & Mental Benefits of Getting Outdoors & Outside of Your Comfort Zone
Images courtesy of Kohler Co.
In her 34-year tenure at Kohler Co., Kohler, Wisconsin, Jean Kolb has developed a passion for wellness, a balanced lifestyle, and bringing her expertise to the members and guests of Kohler. Playing an instrumental part in the planning, development, construction, and successful opening of Kohler Waters Spas worldwide, Kolb most recently oversaw the achievement of Forbes Five-Star recognition for the flagship spa in Kohler, Wisconsin, making it one of only 31 Forbes Five-Star spas in the world. Kolb also served as chairman of the International Spa Association board of directors where she served as the spokesperson for the spa industry. Read more about our Wellness Week experts.