With many of us spending more time in the office than anywhere else in our lives, it’s important to do what you can to make the most of your office time – whether it be through developing relationships, managing your stress, or exercising in your cube. A healthy workplace plays a huge role in maintaining a healthy state of mind – and body.
We love this handy little book, Office Yoga, Simple Stretches for Busy People, by Darrin Zeer. From desk stretches, to meditative re-grouping, here are 10 tips on how to make your time at the office more about stress-free productivity than aches and pains caused by stress. Easy and quick, do them every day to make work as healthy as possible!
These relaxation stretches can be done from your office chair!
1. Human Basketball Net:
- Raise your arms straight above your head and interlace your fingers.
- Alternate palms downward and upward, stretch, and breathe.
- Stretch your arms out in front and relax your shoulders.
2. Arm Pulls
- Bend left arm above and behind your head.
- Grab your elbow with your right hand and stretch up.
- Breathe and let shoulders relax. Repeat with other arm.
3. Neck Rolls
- Drop your head to one side.
- Roll it around in a wide circle; switch directions.
- Slowly find the tight spots. Hold and breathe, letting your breath release the tightness.
- Extra stretch: Place a hand on your head, and gently pull to the side.
4. Keyboard Calisthenics
- With hands in prayer position, move in all directions and stretch.
- Squeeze fists tight
- Stretch fingers wide.
- Interlace fingers and rotate hands.
- Invent stretches that feel good.
- Make it a habit – constantly stretch your hands and wrists.
5. Email Meditation: While you are reading your email, remember to breathe slowly and focus your attention on your breath. Make the exhale two times longer than the inhale. This will immediately calm you.
6. To Do Today: Maintain a current to-do list by the day, week, month and future.
7. Clean it Out: Mess can equal stress, so clean out the desk, hard drive, briefcase, car, everything.
DIY Spa at the Office
8. Natural Facelift
- Pretend to chew a large piece of gum up and down and side to side, mouth open.
- Squeeze your eyes shut and lift your eyebrows up and down.
- Massage your cheekbones, forehead, and temples with your fingers and knuckles.
- Knead your eyebrows with your fingertips.
- Make sure shoulders are relaxed.
9. Headache Solution
Place index fingers in the middle of and just above each eyebrow, press with your fingers and hold. Close your eyes and breathe deeply.
- Place both hands on your shoulders and neck.
- Squeeze with your fingers and palms.
- Rub vigorously. Keep shoulders relaxed.
To de-stress after work with a full yoga workout here’s a sneak peak at some Wellness Week™ spas and fitness studios, which will be offering spa services and yoga classes at either $50 prices, or for 50% off! New spas and studios are being added every day, so be sure to sign up for Wellness Week™ news and alerts to find out where to de-stress in your area once the big week arrives!
- Atmananda Yoga Sequence, New York, NY
- Zenyasa Yoga & Wellnes Studio, New York, NY
- Creative Vibrations Yoga Studio and Ayurvedic Spa, Astoria, NY
- Spa Grande at Grand Wailea, Wailea, HI
- Akasha Yoga LLC, Vacaville, CA
- Pranaa Ayurveda Spa & Yoga, Plano, TX
- The Spa at Four Seasons Houston, Houston, TX
- Three in One Yoga, Bradenton, FL
- Radiant Sun Therapies, Reston, VA
- Yoga Shelter, West Bloomfield, MI